“Spiritually rewarding and uplifting.” — Cardinal Timothy Dolan, Archbishop of New York
New York Times bestselling author and editor at large of America magazine Father James Martin reveals how we can turn to Christ completely in mind, heart, and soul. Martin offers a portrait of Jesus, using his last words on the cross to reveal how deeply he understood our predicaments and shows us what it means to be fully human.
Each meditation is dedicated to one of the seven sayings:
- “Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they do.”
- “Today you will be with me in Paradise.”
- “Woman, this is your son” . . . “This is your mother.”
- “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?”
- “I thirst.”
- “It is finished.”
- “Father, into your hands I commend my spirit.”
With the warmth, wisdom, and grace that infuse his works, Father James Martin explains why Jesus’s crucifixion and death on the cross is an important teaching moment in the Gospels. Jesus’s final statements, words that are deeply cherished by his followers, exemplify the depth of his suffering but also provide a key to his empathy and why we can connect with him so deeply.
Pages: 144 pages, hardcover